I love helping both indies and larger studios so a portion of my time is dedicated to consulting. My primary skill is communication – spoken, written, coded, drawn, designed. Each of these areas below leverages my experience and ability to connect people, concepts, and audiences. If you need a hand in any of these areas feel free to get in touch.
Improving Your Game’s Feel
- “Our game just doesn’t have that, what you say, ‘punch’?”
- Combine art, animation, audio, and code to deliver immediate feedback that the user inherently understands and appreciates.
- Either describe what needs to be done or implement it myself and give you nice feelings.
- Sometimes a document just won’t do, either for yourself or your partners. In that case it’s time to build as small a version of the game or idea to answer the most vital questions. How does it feel? What are the hidden dynamics?
- Quickly produce a working experience to answer specific questions in game design.
- Sometimes an entire game is small enough to be prototyped at once, but typically a prototype is one very discrete part.
- Collaborate to refine the idea and pivot through iterations until it’s fun. Unless it’s just not. That’s what prototyping’s for though!
- Separate what’s vital from what’s superfluous in your game and get things done with limited resources.
- Work with you to create spreadsheets, Trello boards, etc to untangle bloated projects.
Creative Direction and Game Feedback
- Throw me a build or a doc and get constructive feedback that can be acted upon.
- Ask you questions about your intent, the feelings you want to inspire in the player, what is complete and not.
- Either present findings, have a conversation, and/or prepare written comments.
Solving Cross Disciplinary Problems
- Some problems are hard simply because they cross multiple domains and specialists on either side don’t communicate well.
- Put me between an engineer and an artist and I can mediate what they are saying to each other.
- Same goes with executives/investors and developers.
- Solve game design problems that are described with programming in Unity with C#.
- Solve game design problems with particles, meshes, textures, and animation. I have 18 years of 3DSMax experience and somewhere in my brain is a wealth of Maxscript knowledge.
- Design games, minigames, tools, and systems either by building them or creating documents. Or both.
Please contact me if you have an interest in my services! Email Me